Self belief will be key to India`s success in WC: Walsh
New Delhi: Self belief will be key to India`s success in the Hockey World Cup to be held at The Hague, Netherlands from May 31 to June 15, chief coach Terry Walsh said here on thursday.
India`s chief coach Walsh expressed satisfaction about his wards preparations for the World Cup and said "building a strong self belief" is vital for showcasing a good performance in the mega-event.
"We are going good with the practice sessions and the boys have been showing good set of skills. The boys are really excited as playing the World Cup will be a huge opportunity," Walsh said after a practice session at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here today.
"We are also trying to understand the scenario which would be there so that we are well prepared. The players are all good and are working with great enthusiasm also helping each other in the game showcasing excellent team spirit.
"But building a strong self belief is very essential to play a good game and we are working on that," he emphasized.
Walsh`s deputy and India`s newly-appointed assistant coach Jude Felix said penalty corner conversion is an area they team management is giving special emphasis on.
"In order to present a good game the players are working on specific set of skills like goal scoring and penalties. Though certain things have changed in the game, we are trying to bring back the old skill sets as well which may take the team towards good results," he said.
"Penalty corners are difficult to score these days, but we are trying to figure out solutions for the same," Felix added.
India captain Sardar Singh the team`s preparation for the quadrennial event was going on the right
"We are focusing on the fitness as well as basics like defence and footwork to excel in the game. With each session, the young players are getting better. All the players in the team are skillful, we just need to utilise them in the right manner," he said.
"Our coach has been working towards making us all ready for the World Cup. He has observed us closely during the Hero Hockey India League and training individual players accordingly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why