Semenya likely to hear gender test result on Thursday

Updated: Jun 10, 2010, 08:48 AM IST

Johannesburg: South African world women`s 800 metres champion Caster Semenya looks likely to hear the result of a gender verification test at a media conference in Johannesburg on Thursday.

The conference at 1300GMT will be hosted by South Africa Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile.

Semenya, 19, has not run competitively since undergoing the tests at the Berlin world championships last August.

"A press conference will be hosted by the Minister of Sport and Recreation...relating to the outcomes of the Caster Semenya dispute," communications group Siyenza said in a statement on Wednesday.

It said Semenya and her lawyers would attend the briefing, but gave no further details.

Semenya`s return to competitive athletics was delayed last month after her comeback event in Zaragoza was cancelled.

Athletics South Africa has made clear Semenya is not banned from competition but said she must wait for the results of her tests from the International Association of Athletics Federations.

Her lawyers said in April that the tests proved she could run as a female.

Asked to comment on South African television reports that Semenya had been cleared, her agent Jukka Harkonen told reporters by telephone from Jyvaskyla, Finland: "I cannot say anything".

Bureau Report