Sengupta holds top seed; Maghami and Lenic share lead
New Delhi: Continuing his fine run, Indian
International Master Deep Sengupta held top seed Grandmaster
Le Quang Liem of Vietnam to a draw in the 10th and penultimate
round of the 8th Parsvnath International Open Chess Tournament
Sengupta opted Dutch Defence with black pieces against
his fancied rival and secured well deserved half point after
64 moves and now share the second spot with five other GMs
with eight points.
Second seed Slovenian Grandmaster Lenic Luka defeated
International Master Nikolay Tolstikh of Russia in the
penultimate round to catch up with the overnight sole leader
Grandmaster Maghami Ehsan Ghaem with eight and half points.
Playing black side of Kings Indian Defence, Lenic
outwitted Russian International Master in 44 moves.
Meanwhile Maghami settled for another quick draw as he
signed the peace treaty with Kazakh Grandmaster Pavel Kostur
in just nine moves.
Five foreign Grandmasters Pavel Kostur of Kazakhstan,
Dmitry Kryakvin of Russia, Ziaur Rahman of Bangladesh, Martyn
Kravtsiv of Ukraine and Marat Dzhumaev of Uzbekistan are
giving company to Sengupta in the joint second spot.
Kryakvin overcame International Master P Konguvel in the
while Zia and Kravtsiv got better off P Karthikeyan and Ravi
Dzhumaev joined them after defeating another Indian
International Master Saptarshi Roy in the penultimate round.
In other surprising results, IM Thejkumar and Arghyadip
Das held Russian GMs Maxim Turov and Andrey Gutov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- In process of overturning 'illegal decisions' of AAP Govt: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung
- Huawei smartphones to come pre-loaded with Truecaller
- Cricket in USA, 1st T20I: West Indies eye comeback after demolition in Tests; MS Dhoni & Co seek revenge
- Ex-Haryana speaker SS Kadian jailed for 7 years in graft case
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan welcomes appointment of Urjit Patel as his successor