Senior Hockey National Championship from Sept 23
Bangalore: The second men`s senior National Hockey Championship would be held here from September 23.
The matches will be played at the city hockey stadium and MEG Grounds, Hockey Karnataka Secretary and former India goalkeeper A B Subbaiah told reporters.
Haryana was the winner of the inaugural edition held at Bhopal in 2011.
As many as 36 teams, including defending champions Haryana, have confirmed their participation in the championship, Subbaiah said.
The teams also include five teams from institutions like Air India, Services, Indian Universities, Indian Railways, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Hockey Bhopal, Subbaiah said.
The teams have been divided into eight groups, which would battle to get to the top to qualify for knockout quaterfinals stage, he added.
The quarterfinals are scheduled for September 30 followed by semifinals on October 1 and the final on October 2.
Players like ace playmaker Sardara Singh, drag flicker Sandeep Singh and Tushar Khandekar would participate in the event.
Hockey India`s selectors BP Govinda, Balbir Singh and Syed Ali besides government nominees Harbinder Singh and Dilip Tirkey will be attending the event to identify promising talent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand