Sergei Bubka backs longer ban for drug cheats in athletics
London: Ukraine`s pole vaulting legend Sergei Bubka has expressed his support for longer bans for drug cheaters.
"We will not excuse the dopers. It must be increased from a two-year ban to a four-year ban," said the 49-year-old Bubka, presidential candidate of the International Olympic Committee on Wednesday.
Bubka urged the athletics authorities to dole out severe punishment on dopers and protect the credibility of the sport following high-profile sprinters such as Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay testing positive recently.
"We need to go this way and we must protect the honest athletes. We must eliminate the cheaters and this is very important for sport, very important for the youth and for the credibility of the sport. We need to be very strong and tough with the doping," said Bubka
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list