Services reign supreme in sub-junior National boxing
Kolkata: Services pugilists were crowned champions as they came up with a dominating performance to land five gold medals, two silver and one bronze scoring 37 points in the inaugural Sub-Junior National Boxing Championship here on Thursday.
K Shyam Kumar of Andhra Pradesh, who clinched the gold in the 46kg (under-14 age group) cateogry, was adjudged the best boxer of the tournament, while local lad Sohaib Haque (40kg, U-13), who settled for silver, was declared best loser of the meet that was conducted for the first time under the new AIBA guidelines.
Haryana (33 points) and Maharashtra (31) took the first and second positions in the meet.
Trained at the Pune-based Army Sports Institute, the five Services boxers who reigned supreme were L Bhimchand Singh (44kg, U-13), N Pushkar Singh (44kg, U-12), Naveen Kumar (48kg U-14), L Ajit Sigh (48kg, U-13) and Vishnu (50kg, U-13).
Wasique (36kg, U-12) and Y Arjun Singh (50kg, U-14) earned Services the two silver medals, while Mohammad Meraj Mansuri bagged the lone silver in 38kg U-12 category.
Andhra`s K Shyam Kumar knocked down D Ajay of Chattisgarh 10-0 to be adjudged the best boxer, while Haque put up a brave fight against eventual winner C Lalduhawma of Mizoram before bowing down 3-6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?