Services through to national basketball semis
New Delhi: Services on Monday stunned Indian Railways 104-72 to move into the semifinals of the 64th National Basketball Championship being held at the Thyagaraj Sports Complex here.
Services, who finished second behind Punjab in Group B, dominated for the major part of the game.
Gopal Ram was in fine form, leading the scoring charts with 29 points. Jairam bagged a double-double with 18 points and 14 rebounds as Services romped in the first, second and fourth quarter.
Indian Railways, who had finished behind Tamil Nadu and Uttarakhand in Group A, failed to get the fluency going and were poor in defence.
Ankur Anand Singh (21 points) was the only player to put the Services defence under any kind of pressure. Hirendra Rathore gave away six fouls but managed to win as many rebounds under the basket.
Meanwhile, Karnataka set-up a quarterfinal clash with in-form team Tamil Nadu with a 90-77 win over Rajasthan in the pre-quarters.
Dheeraj Shetty and Arvind with 21 apiece did most of the damage for Karnataka while Rajesh added 18 points.
S. Parthasarathi scored 16 points for Rajasthan while Kamran Khan and Harshvardhan finished with 14 points each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bodoland groups to relaunch statehood agitation next week
- Claudio Bravo joins Manchester City as Joe Hart`s replacement
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar, eases in Madhya Pradesh
- Don't let India use your soil against us, Pakistan tells Afghanistan
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener