Sethuraman and Vladislav shares lead
Hyderabad: Chennai-based Grandmaster Sethuraman S P and Ukrainian Grandmaster Vladislav Borovikov were in shared lead with four and half points each after the end of fifth round in the ongoing 2nd Hyderabad International Grandmasters Chess Tournament here thursday.
The tournament at the Kotla Vijaya Bhaskara Reddy Indoor Stadium, witnessed keenly-fought games in the fifth round.
Playing white side of Alekhine`s Defence game, Sethu exploited the weakness in the King side of Grandmaster Lalith Babu to garner full points after 41 moves, while Vladislav defeated Azerbaijan Grandmaster Azer Mirzoev in a Slav defence game that lasted 37 moves to join Sethu at top of point table.
Meanwhile the top board battle between Georgian Grandmasters Merab Gagunashvili and Levan Pantsulaia ended in a peace treaty after mandatory 25 moves while the second board match between Vidit Santosh Gujarathi and Grandmaster Alon Greenfeld of Israel produced some exciting moments in the game, but Greenfeld failed to convert the advantageous position to a decisive result and agreed to split the point after 64 moves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown