Shamini`s fitness put under watch
New Delhi: TTFI has accepted the "excuse" given by their leading woman paddler K Shamini of being low on confidence in playing against superior English players while putting her fitness under watch in the upcoming matches of the Commonwealth championships.
"We heard her today and believe her explanation. We will see how she performs in the individual event here. She will also have to show a fitness certificate from a doctor," TTFI general secretary Dhanraj Choudhary told PTI after the meeting that was attended by national coaches, Bhawani Mukherjee and Kamlesh Mehta.
TTFI, in a meeting here at the Thyagaraj stadium, decided to take the word of the reigning national champion when she cited that "she was uncomfortable in taking on the defenses of English players Joanna Parker and Kelly Sibley".
The coaches weren`t impressed with the attitude of the Chennai girl and had given their observation to the TTFI.
There were doubts over the 24-year-old`s fitness which was seen as the reason for making herself unavailable for the important matches.
In this wake, TTFI has also decided to appoint a doctor and a physiotherapist who would independently judge the fitness of a player before a competition.
"We didn`t have any national team doctor and physiotherapist. But now we will have this facility for our national camps. Players will have to get a mandatory clearance from them," Choudhary said.
"If Shamini is unable to prove her fitness, we can withdraw her from the Paris championship," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video