Shamini`s fitness put under watch
New Delhi: TTFI has accepted the "excuse" given by their leading woman paddler K Shamini of being low on confidence in playing against superior English players while putting her fitness under watch in the upcoming matches of the Commonwealth championships.
"We heard her today and believe her explanation. We will see how she performs in the individual event here. She will also have to show a fitness certificate from a doctor," TTFI general secretary Dhanraj Choudhary told PTI after the meeting that was attended by national coaches, Bhawani Mukherjee and Kamlesh Mehta.
TTFI, in a meeting here at the Thyagaraj stadium, decided to take the word of the reigning national champion when she cited that "she was uncomfortable in taking on the defenses of English players Joanna Parker and Kelly Sibley".
The coaches weren`t impressed with the attitude of the Chennai girl and had given their observation to the TTFI.
There were doubts over the 24-year-old`s fitness which was seen as the reason for making herself unavailable for the important matches.
In this wake, TTFI has also decided to appoint a doctor and a physiotherapist who would independently judge the fitness of a player before a competition.
"We didn`t have any national team doctor and physiotherapist. But now we will have this facility for our national camps. Players will have to get a mandatory clearance from them," Choudhary said.
"If Shamini is unable to prove her fitness, we can withdraw her from the Paris championship," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- 2016 French Open Day 5: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal reach milestones; Serena Williams romps
- Wow! This is how Mukesh Ambani's home Antilia looks from inside
- Donald Trump reaches the magic number to clinch Republican nomination
- Sexism row: Darren Sammy defends 'entertainer' Chris Gayle
- Inexhaustible Rafael Nadal wins 200th Grand Slam match