Sharath, Shamini to lead Indian squad in Asian TT
New Delhi: Olympian Achanta Sharath Kamal and reigning woman national champion Kumaresan Shamini will sperahead the Indian challenge at the 19th Asian Table Tennis Championships, to be held in Lucknow from November 16-22.
The selectors picked a 10-member Indian squad yesterday leaving out Olympian Neha Aggarwal, who is struggling for form, and injured Subhajit Saha.
Former India number one Mouma Das and her doubles partner Poulomi Ghatak along with youngsters Pooja Sahasrabhudhe and Divya Deshpande form the women team.
Sharath, world number 70, would be India`s best bet in the tournament.
Sourav Chakraborty, Soumyadeep Roy, Jubin Kumar and Anirban Nandy are the other members of the men`s team.
India being the hosts, have been allowed two additional entries for both men`s and women`s singles events.
National coach Massimo Constantini and Chief SAI coach Bhawani Mukherjee would accompany the paddlers.
Men: Achantha Sharath Kamal, Sourav Chakraborty, Soumyadeep Roy, Jubin Kumar, Anirban Nandy.
Women: Kumaresan Shamini, Pooja Sahasrabhudhe, Divya Deshpande, Mouma Das, Poulomi Ghatak.
Coaches: Massimo Constatini (Italy), Bhawani Mukherjee, Vijay Sarathi.
Independent singles players: Men: Devesh Karia, Aman Balgu. Women: Mamata Prabhu, Madhurika Patkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan