Sharath stuns Patrick in Polish Open
New Delhi: Ace Indian paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal stunned world No 31 Patrick Baum of Germany in a gruelling seven-setter to enter the pre-quarterfinals of the IITF World Tour Polish Open at Poznan on Saturday.
Sharath Kamal beat Patrick 4-3 (8-11, 10-12, 11-8, 11-9, 12-10, 7-11, 13-11) in the round of 32 of men`s singles competition.
Ranked 79 in the world, Sharath will now take on world No. 19 Tianyi Jiang from Hong Kong in the round of 16.
Sharath was almost down and out before recovering from a 0-2 deficit to post a win over his better-known opponent. In the tension-packed decider, the Indian had to muster great courage to keep his opponent engaged and wrap it up by the minimal two-point margin. In the end, it was a reaction block that won the game for him and India had reason to celebrate.
"Now I`m living in Dosseldorf and practising with the German team, so today I was playing against friends; Jorg Rosskopf is like a second coach," explained Sharath Kamal after his win. At Poznan, Sharath is taking guidance from Swede Linus Mernsten.
Sharath Kamal also said he could take advantage of his opponent as he lagged behind at times.
"Patrick is not in the best of shape at the moment. He has had a difficult time in the Bindesliga and he`s going through a tough time and it was to my advantage. Nevertheless, my job is to win," added Sharath Kamal, who stood at an all-time career high of No.39 in 2010.
Earlier, he accounted for Bendict Duda of Germany 11-7, 11-6, 11-6, 11-7 in straight sets without much sweat against the player who is ranked No. 312 in the world.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory