Sharath stuns Patrick in Polish Open
New Delhi: Ace Indian paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal stunned world No 31 Patrick Baum of Germany in a gruelling seven-setter to enter the pre-quarterfinals of the IITF World Tour Polish Open at Poznan on Saturday.
Sharath Kamal beat Patrick 4-3 (8-11, 10-12, 11-8, 11-9, 12-10, 7-11, 13-11) in the round of 32 of men`s singles competition.
Ranked 79 in the world, Sharath will now take on world No. 19 Tianyi Jiang from Hong Kong in the round of 16.
Sharath was almost down and out before recovering from a 0-2 deficit to post a win over his better-known opponent. In the tension-packed decider, the Indian had to muster great courage to keep his opponent engaged and wrap it up by the minimal two-point margin. In the end, it was a reaction block that won the game for him and India had reason to celebrate.
"Now I`m living in Dosseldorf and practising with the German team, so today I was playing against friends; Jorg Rosskopf is like a second coach," explained Sharath Kamal after his win. At Poznan, Sharath is taking guidance from Swede Linus Mernsten.
Sharath Kamal also said he could take advantage of his opponent as he lagged behind at times.
"Patrick is not in the best of shape at the moment. He has had a difficult time in the Bindesliga and he`s going through a tough time and it was to my advantage. Nevertheless, my job is to win," added Sharath Kamal, who stood at an all-time career high of No.39 in 2010.
Earlier, he accounted for Bendict Duda of Germany 11-7, 11-6, 11-6, 11-7 in straight sets without much sweat against the player who is ranked No. 312 in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read