Sher-e-Punjab enter final of WSH
Bangalore: Sher-e-Punjab thrashed hosts Karnataka Lions 4-1 to sail into the final of the inaugural World Series Hockey on Sunday.
Australian Matthew Hotchkis (17th), Karamjit Singh (39th), Harpreet Singh and captain Prabhjot Singh (68th) were the goal scorers for the Punjab side, while Naveen Kumar (11th) scored the lone goal for the hosts.
Punjab will now travel to Mumbai to face the winners of the ongoing second semifinal between Pune Strykers and Chandigarh Comets in summit clash on Monday.
The scoreline could have 5-1 in favour of Punjab had Hotchkis not missed a penalty stroke in the third quarter which was brilliantly saved by a diving Karnataka custodian Devesh Chauhan.
Contrary to the result, it was Karnataka which went ahead at the KSHA Stadium when an alert Naveen guided a high rebound ball into the net in the 11th minute from the right.
That was the only jubilant moment for Karnataka as from here on it was all Punjab.
Karnataka`s joy was shortlived as Punjab equalised six minutes later when Hotchkis scored from a penalty corner to draw curtains to an exciting first quarter.
After a barren second quarter, Karamjit made it 2-1 in favour of the Punjab when he scored a field goal by making full use of a freak pass.
The third quarter also went goalless but Punjab scored two more goals in final 10 minutes of the match through Harpreet, who converted a penalty corner, and skipper Prabhjot to close out the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Akshay Kumar looks dapper in the brand new poster of ‘Rustom’
- BJP has reduced foreign policy to ''event management exercise'': JD(U)
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan behind Steven Spielberg's 'The BFG' release delay?
- 11-year-old blood cancer patient seeks help from PM Narendra Modi, CM Akhilesh Yadav
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 up for grabs in first flash sale today