Shillong, Siliguri to host two international TT events
New Delhi: India will host this year`s South Asian Junior Table Tennis Championships and the Indian Junior and Cadet Open, the TTFI has announced during its Annual General Meeting.
Shillong has been chosen to host the South Asian meet, from July 19 to 24, while the junior and cadet tournament will be held in Siliguri from October 10 to 14.
Table Tennis Federation of India`s secretary-general, Dhanraj Choudhary added that Hyderabad, in all likelihood, will host the World Junior Championships in 2013.
The Andhra Pradesh Table Tennis Association has expressed willingness to host the event and a decision will be made on this after inspection of the venue and other facilities.
As far as the Indian paddlers` chances of qualifying for the London Olympics were concerned, Chaudhary has his hopes pinned on the upcoming qualification tournament, to be held in Hong Kong from April 19 to 22.
The paddlers are currently training in Vienna (Austria) for the forthcoming World Championships in Dortmund (Germany) beginning March 24.
The AGM also approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Tenvic, a Bangalore-based company owned by former India cricket captain, Anil Kumble.
The company will provide avenues for developing the skills of Indian coaches, besides giving feedbacks on areas where players have to improve.
Besides, the house honoured 95-year-old TD Rangaramanujam with the Life Time Achievement award for his services to promote the game in his long career as secretary, president of the TTFI since 1946.
The house also honoured Kamlesh Mehta and Indu Puri, both eight-time winners of singles title in men and women`s category, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!