Shillong, Siliguri to host two international TT events
New Delhi: India will host this year`s South Asian Junior Table Tennis Championships and the Indian Junior and Cadet Open, the TTFI has announced during its Annual General Meeting.
Shillong has been chosen to host the South Asian meet, from July 19 to 24, while the junior and cadet tournament will be held in Siliguri from October 10 to 14.
Table Tennis Federation of India`s secretary-general, Dhanraj Choudhary added that Hyderabad, in all likelihood, will host the World Junior Championships in 2013.
The Andhra Pradesh Table Tennis Association has expressed willingness to host the event and a decision will be made on this after inspection of the venue and other facilities.
As far as the Indian paddlers` chances of qualifying for the London Olympics were concerned, Chaudhary has his hopes pinned on the upcoming qualification tournament, to be held in Hong Kong from April 19 to 22.
The paddlers are currently training in Vienna (Austria) for the forthcoming World Championships in Dortmund (Germany) beginning March 24.
The AGM also approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Tenvic, a Bangalore-based company owned by former India cricket captain, Anil Kumble.
The company will provide avenues for developing the skills of Indian coaches, besides giving feedbacks on areas where players have to improve.
Besides, the house honoured 95-year-old TD Rangaramanujam with the Life Time Achievement award for his services to promote the game in his long career as secretary, president of the TTFI since 1946.
The house also honoured Kamlesh Mehta and Indu Puri, both eight-time winners of singles title in men and women`s category, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan