Shooter Vijay Kumar adjudged `Services Best Sportsman`
New Delhi: London Olympics silver medallist shooter Vijay Kumar was on Friday honoured with the `Services Best Sportsman` award for 2012 at the Army Headquarters here.
"The award is given to the best sportsman from out of all the three defence forces -- Army, Air Force and Navy," a release stated.
The award, including the trophy and Rs one lakh, was presented to the ace shooter by Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, the release added.
"I am honoured to have been given such a prestigious award. It makes me really happy that my efforts are now being applauded and appreciated by the Services," Vijay Kumar said.
Vijay Kumar won a silver medal at the July-August London Games in the individual 25 metre rapid fire pistol.
The current world No. 3 had earlier won three gold medals and one silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held here.
Meanwhile, the Himachal Pradesh shooter will be flying to Bangkok on October 22 to participate in the prestigious ISSF World Cup Finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video