Shooter Vijay Kumar adjudged `Services Best Sportsman`
New Delhi: London Olympics silver medallist shooter Vijay Kumar was on Friday honoured with the `Services Best Sportsman` award for 2012 at the Army Headquarters here.
"The award is given to the best sportsman from out of all the three defence forces -- Army, Air Force and Navy," a release stated.
The award, including the trophy and Rs one lakh, was presented to the ace shooter by Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, the release added.
"I am honoured to have been given such a prestigious award. It makes me really happy that my efforts are now being applauded and appreciated by the Services," Vijay Kumar said.
Vijay Kumar won a silver medal at the July-August London Games in the individual 25 metre rapid fire pistol.
The current world No. 3 had earlier won three gold medals and one silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held here.
Meanwhile, the Himachal Pradesh shooter will be flying to Bangkok on October 22 to participate in the prestigious ISSF World Cup Finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US