Shooter Vijay Kumar adjudged `Services Best Sportsman`
New Delhi: London Olympics silver medallist shooter Vijay Kumar was on Friday honoured with the `Services Best Sportsman` award for 2012 at the Army Headquarters here.
"The award is given to the best sportsman from out of all the three defence forces -- Army, Air Force and Navy," a release stated.
The award, including the trophy and Rs one lakh, was presented to the ace shooter by Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, the release added.
"I am honoured to have been given such a prestigious award. It makes me really happy that my efforts are now being applauded and appreciated by the Services," Vijay Kumar said.
Vijay Kumar won a silver medal at the July-August London Games in the individual 25 metre rapid fire pistol.
The current world No. 3 had earlier won three gold medals and one silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held here.
Meanwhile, the Himachal Pradesh shooter will be flying to Bangkok on October 22 to participate in the prestigious ISSF World Cup Finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP