Shooter Vijay Kumar adjudged `Services Best Sportsman`
New Delhi: London Olympics silver medallist shooter Vijay Kumar was on Friday honoured with the `Services Best Sportsman` award for 2012 at the Army Headquarters here.
"The award is given to the best sportsman from out of all the three defence forces -- Army, Air Force and Navy," a release stated.
The award, including the trophy and Rs one lakh, was presented to the ace shooter by Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi, the release added.
"I am honoured to have been given such a prestigious award. It makes me really happy that my efforts are now being applauded and appreciated by the Services," Vijay Kumar said.
Vijay Kumar won a silver medal at the July-August London Games in the individual 25 metre rapid fire pistol.
The current world No. 3 had earlier won three gold medals and one silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games held here.
Meanwhile, the Himachal Pradesh shooter will be flying to Bangkok on October 22 to participate in the prestigious ISSF World Cup Finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!