Shuttler Ratchanok not to defend India Open title
New Delhi: Reigning world badminton champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand will not be defending her India Open Super Series women’s singles title as she has withdrawn her entry.
The current World No.4 cited medical reasons for skipping the $250,000 event which will be underway from Tuesday at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
“She sent a mail saying that she will not be playing due to medical reasons,” tournament chief referee Isabelle Jobard of France told IANS here Monday also affirming that she was the only withdrawal from the category.
However, some top men’s singles players will also skip the April 1-6 tourney. Third seed and World No.3 Kenichi Tago of Japan, fifth seeded Thai Boonsak Ponsana and Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto have all withdrawn their respective entries.
“Most of them mentioned medical reasons,” added Isabelle.
From men’s doubles, Russian pair Vladimir Ivanov-Ivan Sozonov and Chinese combine Chai Biao-Hong Wei will skip the tournament.
Women’s doubles competitions also got a blow as Chinese third seeds and World No.3 pair Yixin Bao and Jinhua Tang have also pulled out along with Russia’s Anastasia Chervaykov and Nina Vislova.
In mixed doubles, China’s Yixin Bao-Liu Cheng and Russian Vitalij Durkin-Nina Vislova have decided not to participate here.
Three men’s singles players, two pairs from women’s doubles and another pair of mixed doubles have confirmed their withdrawal from the qualifiers which are to be played Tuesday. The main draw starts Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?