Shuttler Ratchanok not to defend India Open title
New Delhi: Reigning world badminton champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand will not be defending her India Open Super Series women’s singles title as she has withdrawn her entry.
The current World No.4 cited medical reasons for skipping the $250,000 event which will be underway from Tuesday at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
“She sent a mail saying that she will not be playing due to medical reasons,” tournament chief referee Isabelle Jobard of France told IANS here Monday also affirming that she was the only withdrawal from the category.
However, some top men’s singles players will also skip the April 1-6 tourney. Third seed and World No.3 Kenichi Tago of Japan, fifth seeded Thai Boonsak Ponsana and Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto have all withdrawn their respective entries.
“Most of them mentioned medical reasons,” added Isabelle.
From men’s doubles, Russian pair Vladimir Ivanov-Ivan Sozonov and Chinese combine Chai Biao-Hong Wei will skip the tournament.
Women’s doubles competitions also got a blow as Chinese third seeds and World No.3 pair Yixin Bao and Jinhua Tang have also pulled out along with Russia’s Anastasia Chervaykov and Nina Vislova.
In mixed doubles, China’s Yixin Bao-Liu Cheng and Russian Vitalij Durkin-Nina Vislova have decided not to participate here.
Three men’s singles players, two pairs from women’s doubles and another pair of mixed doubles have confirmed their withdrawal from the qualifiers which are to be played Tuesday. The main draw starts Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM