Shyam Kakara books medal, Youth Olympics berth
New Delhi: Indian boxer Shyam Kakara booked a ticket to this year`s Youth Olympics besides assuring himself of a medal in the ongoing World Youth Championships after advancing to the semifinals with a thrilling quarterfinal win in Sofia, Bulgaria on Monday.
The Andhra Pradesh boxer defeated Venezuela`s Yoel Finol 2-1 in a draining 49kg bout to make the semifinal stage, which was a pre-requisite to make the cut for the Youth Olympics to be held in Nanjing, China from August 16 to 28.
"This is the biggest win of my career," the 18-year-old told PTI from Sofia. "I have won two gold medals and a silver in my previous international trips and I am now hoping to use it as a stepping stone to the senior level," he added.
The Indian started the bout well by taking the opening round but Finol fought back to equalise. However, Shyam raised his game in the decisive three minutes to pull off the win. "Our boy fought with aggression. The other guy was taller than him but Shyam made good use of combination punches to stay ahead. It was a close bout without doubt but our boy was slightly better," national youth coach G Manoharan said.
The Indians are competing under the International Boxing Association (AIBA) flag due to the termination following the federation`s failure to comply with the world body`s directives on holding elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow