Simon Gerrans pulls out of Tour de France
Australian champion Simon Gerrans did not start the 17th stage of the Tour de France on Wednesday.
The 34-year-old Orica GreenEDGE rider had been suffering since crashing on the first stage more than two weeks ago.
"Obviously it`s disappointing not to complete the Tour de France and make it to Paris," said the winner of April`s Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
"But with the injuries I have from stage one I think the best decision is actually to stop now and completely recover.
"I know I haven`t been 100 percent right since my crash but I was hoping to improve throughout the race. That hasn`t really been the case so I have been putting on a brave face and doing what I can each day."
Gerrans wore the Tour leader`s yellow jersey for two days last year after Orica won the team time-trial.
He had also won the third stage before that, but he has been unable to truly challenge for a stage win this time around.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH