Sindhu, Gurusaidutt advance in Malaysian GP
New Delhi: Top seed P V Sindhu advanced to the second round of the Malaysia Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament after recording a win over Singapore`s Chena Jiayuan on a day that saw three Indians qualifying for the pre-quarterfinals of the men`s singles event in Kuala Lumpur.
Sindhu beat Jiayuan 21-13, 19-21, 21-13 in a match that lasted 47 minutes.
Sindhu will meet Hong Kong`s Cheung Ngan Yi in the quarterfinals on Thursday.
Making the pre-quarters of the men`s event were R M V Gurusaidutt, Sameer Verma and K Srikanth.
Verma defeated Malaysia`s Wei Feng Chong 21-15, 16-21, 21-19 in 55 minutes while Gurusaidutt beat Giap Chin Goh, also from the host country, 21-8, 21-9 in just 26 minutes. K Srikanth got the better of Suppanyu Avihingsanon of Thailand 21-9, 21-19 in 36 minutes.
P C Thulasi tasted defeat in the first round of the women`s section, losing to China`s Yao Xue 21-18, 21-5. Also losing was Arundhati Pantawane, who was shown the door by Indonesia`s Maria Febe Kusumastuti 13-21, 21-10, 21-14.
Tanvi Lal too lost, to Japan`s Ito Kana 21-8, 21-14.
H S Prannoy, who got a walkover in the first round, lost his second round match to Malaysia`s Zainuddin Iskandar Zulkarnain 15-21, 21-14, 21-15.
In mixed doubles, Sanjeeth S and Jagadish Yadav lost to Indonesian duo of Hardi Hardianto and Agripinna Prima Rahmanto Putra 21-16, 21-17.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'