Sindhu, Gurusaidutt enter quarterfinals of Malaysia GP
New Delhi: Top seed P V Sindhu and R M V Gurusaidutt entered the quarterfinals of the women`s and men`s singles, respectively, after registering contrasting victories at the Malaysia Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.
While Sindhu prevailed over Ngan Yi Cheung of Hong Kong 11-21 21-18 21-10 in a three-game women`s singles second round match, Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, beat Riichi Takeshita 21-19 21-16 in 37 minutes.
However, the other Indians in men`s singles category -- K Srikanth and Sameer Verma -- lost their respective third round ties to bow out of the tournament.
Sindhu took 46 minutes to beat her opponent and will next face seventh seeded Hera Desi of Indonesia later in the day.
Gurusaidutt will take on Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin of Malaysia in the quarterfinals later today.
Meanwhile, Verma lost to Yan Kit Chan 15-21 19-21 in 36 minutes, and Daren Liew, seeded third, took 42 minutes to get the better of Srikanth 21-17 22-20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing