Sindhu, Gurusaidutt enter quarterfinals of Malaysia GP
New Delhi: Top seed P V Sindhu and R M V Gurusaidutt entered the quarterfinals of the women`s and men`s singles, respectively, after registering contrasting victories at the Malaysia Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.
While Sindhu prevailed over Ngan Yi Cheung of Hong Kong 11-21 21-18 21-10 in a three-game women`s singles second round match, Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, beat Riichi Takeshita 21-19 21-16 in 37 minutes.
However, the other Indians in men`s singles category -- K Srikanth and Sameer Verma -- lost their respective third round ties to bow out of the tournament.
Sindhu took 46 minutes to beat her opponent and will next face seventh seeded Hera Desi of Indonesia later in the day.
Gurusaidutt will take on Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin of Malaysia in the quarterfinals later today.
Meanwhile, Verma lost to Yan Kit Chan 15-21 19-21 in 36 minutes, and Daren Liew, seeded third, took 42 minutes to get the better of Srikanth 21-17 22-20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened