Sindhu, Gurusaidutt enter quarterfinals of Malaysia GP
New Delhi: Top seed P V Sindhu and R M V Gurusaidutt entered the quarterfinals of the women`s and men`s singles, respectively, after registering contrasting victories at the Malaysia Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.
While Sindhu prevailed over Ngan Yi Cheung of Hong Kong 11-21 21-18 21-10 in a three-game women`s singles second round match, Gurusaidutt, seeded 11th, beat Riichi Takeshita 21-19 21-16 in 37 minutes.
However, the other Indians in men`s singles category -- K Srikanth and Sameer Verma -- lost their respective third round ties to bow out of the tournament.
Sindhu took 46 minutes to beat her opponent and will next face seventh seeded Hera Desi of Indonesia later in the day.
Gurusaidutt will take on Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin of Malaysia in the quarterfinals later today.
Meanwhile, Verma lost to Yan Kit Chan 15-21 19-21 in 36 minutes, and Daren Liew, seeded third, took 42 minutes to get the better of Srikanth 21-17 22-20.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'