Sindhu, Jayaram exit China Masters with heads held high
Changzhou: P.V. Sindhu and Ajay Jayaram`s impressive run in the China Masters Superseries badminton event ended after they lost their respective semifinals here Saturday.
Sindhu, who upset London Olympics gold medallist Li Xuerui in the quarterfinals Friday, gave another Chinese, Jiang Yanjiao, a run for her money before losing 10-21, 21-14, 19-21 at the Olympics Sports Center Xincheng Gymnasium here.
Jayaram went down to Honk Kong`s Yun Hu 16-21, 18-21 in the men`s singles semifinals.
Sindhu, ranked 24th, showed her prowess before losing a one hour six minute thriller against the World No. 9.
The 17-year-old staged a remarkable recovery after being hammered in the opening game.
She raced to a 6-0 lead in the second and maintained the advantage to level the match.
It was a neck-and-neck fight in the decider. Sindhu managed a slender lead for 10-8 before Yanjiao made it 10-10. Both players carried on in the same vein till 19-19 until the 26-year-old used her experience to clinch the issue.
Yanjiao plays either compatriot Yihan Wang or Thailand`s Sapsiree Taerattanachai in the final Sunday.
Later Saturday, World No. 29 Jayaram came short up against the 21st-ranked Hu to exit the tournament. A semifinal appearance can be considered as good result for the Indian, who knocked out World No. 9 Kenichi Tago of Japan earlier in the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read