Sindhu makes main draw of All England
New Delhi: National champion P V Sindhu notched up convincing victories to make it to the main draw in women`s singles of the All England Championship but Sourabh Verma lost a grim battle to crash out of the prestigious event in Birmingham on Tuesday.
RMV Gurusaidutt also won his opening match in the qualifier to keep his hopes alive of reaching the main draw in the men`s singles.
Sindhu beat Malaysia`s Rena Wang 21-19 21-14 in the first round and then saw off Lindaweni Fanetri 21-14 21-18 to make her maiden appearance in the event.
National champion Sourabh lost 20-22 22-20 16-21 against Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei in the first round.
Gurusaidutt reached the second round beating Vladimir Ivanov 21-19 21-17 in the first qualification round. He will next take on Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia.
Top shuttler Saina Nehwal will start her campaign from Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof