Sindhu makes main draw of All England
New Delhi: National champion P V Sindhu notched up convincing victories to make it to the main draw in women`s singles of the All England Championship but Sourabh Verma lost a grim battle to crash out of the prestigious event in Birmingham on Tuesday.
RMV Gurusaidutt also won his opening match in the qualifier to keep his hopes alive of reaching the main draw in the men`s singles.
Sindhu beat Malaysia`s Rena Wang 21-19 21-14 in the first round and then saw off Lindaweni Fanetri 21-14 21-18 to make her maiden appearance in the event.
National champion Sourabh lost 20-22 22-20 16-21 against Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei in the first round.
Gurusaidutt reached the second round beating Vladimir Ivanov 21-19 21-17 in the first qualification round. He will next take on Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia.
Top shuttler Saina Nehwal will start her campaign from Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre