Sindhu, Srikanth guide Awadhe Warriors to 2-1 lead over Delhi
Pune: Rising shuttlers PV Sindhu K Srikanth won their respective singles matches as Awadhe Warriors lead 2-1 over Krrish Delhi Smashers in the iaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL) here tonight.
World number four Malaysian pair of Kien Keat Koo and Boon Hoeng Tan pulled one back in the men`s doubles competition for the Krrish Delhi Smashers.
Thailand Grand Prix Gold winner, Srikanth started the proceedings for the Warriors, who are yet to win a tie in the compeition so far.
The Andhra Pradesh lad rode on his powerful smashes and better placements to tame B Sai Praneeth 21-14, 21-9 in the first men`s singles match to give Awadhe a 1-0 lead over Delhi at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex at Balewadi here.
World Championship bronze medallist, Sindhu then prevailed over Arundhati Pantawane 21-16 21-17 in the women`s singles match to guide Awadhe to a 2-0 lead.
Srikanth starting the opening game on a positive note and lead 7-4 at the first break, before wrapping up the game comfortably in the end.
Srikanth, who was leading 19-9 at one stage in the second game, said said he was prepared for the clash.
"I was hoping to play against Sai or Daren and therefore was prepared. We both train at Gopichand Academy together which helped me know his moves. I just concentrated on that and won."
In the second match, Pantawane was the more dominating initially as she took a surprising 7-4 lead at the opening break in the first game. However, Sindhu fought her way back to 11-11 and then took the first game away from the 23-year-old National Games champion.
In the second game, Pantawane and Sindhu were tied at 6-6 at one stage but soon the Hyderabadi stretched her lead to 13-7 and wrapped up the game comfortably.
World number four Malaysian pair of Kien Keat Koo and Boon Hoeng Tan then kept the hopes alive for the Smashers with a 21-16 21-19 victory over Lucknow`s Markis Kido and Mathias Boe in the men`s doubles competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur