Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Lausanne: A total of six cities from Europe and Latin America have submitted applications to bid for the third edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in 2018, said the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The six cities bidding to host the 2018 YOG are Argentina`s capital Buenos Aires, Colombia`s Medellin, British city Glasgow, Mexico`s Guadalajara, Dutch city Rotterdam and Poznan of Poland.
"We are delighted with the high level of interest shown in hosting the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018," said IOC president Jacques Rogge on the IOC website on Friday.
"It is a shining endorsement of just how successful of the inaugural summer (Singapore 2010) and winter (Innsbruck 2012) editions were and reflects how the popularity, excitement and awareness surrounding the YOG continue to build at an impressive pace."
The candidate cities are expected to submit the signed 2018 YOG Candidature Procedure before March 15, 2012. The IOC executive board will select a shortlist of candidates in February 2013, while the host city will be chosen in July 2013.
The second edition of summer YOG will be held in Nanjing, China in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured