Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Lausanne: A total of six cities from Europe and Latin America have submitted applications to bid for the third edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in 2018, said the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The six cities bidding to host the 2018 YOG are Argentina`s capital Buenos Aires, Colombia`s Medellin, British city Glasgow, Mexico`s Guadalajara, Dutch city Rotterdam and Poznan of Poland.
"We are delighted with the high level of interest shown in hosting the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018," said IOC president Jacques Rogge on the IOC website on Friday.
"It is a shining endorsement of just how successful of the inaugural summer (Singapore 2010) and winter (Innsbruck 2012) editions were and reflects how the popularity, excitement and awareness surrounding the YOG continue to build at an impressive pace."
The candidate cities are expected to submit the signed 2018 YOG Candidature Procedure before March 15, 2012. The IOC executive board will select a shortlist of candidates in February 2013, while the host city will be chosen in July 2013.
The second edition of summer YOG will be held in Nanjing, China in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH