Six CWG gold medal winning wrestlers in Asian Games squad
New Delhi: The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) Tuesday announced an 18-member squad for the Asian Games that includes six Commonwealth Games gold medallists and leaves out an injured World champion Sushil Kumar.
Sushil Kumar has been replaced with Pradip Kumar. Sushil, who won the gold medal in the 66 kg category in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games, picked up a shoulder injury during the World Championships in Moscow and aggravated it during the Games at home.
The federation didn`t want to risk Sushil keeping in view the Olympic qualifiers that start next year.
Indian wrestlers won 10 gold medals at the Commonwealth Games and expectations will be high from them at the Asian Games again.
But at the Asian Games, Indian wrestlers are expected to get tough competition from Iran, Japan, Mongolia and Central Asian countries.
Free Style: Vinod Kumar (55Kg), Yogeshwar Dutt (60kg), Pradeep Kumar (66kg), Narsingh Yadav (74Kg), Ram Vir (84kg), Mausam Khatri (96kg), Rajiv Tomar (120kg)
Greco Roman: Rajender Kumar (55kg), Ravinder Singh (60kg), Sunil Kumar (66kg), Sanjay (74kg), Manoj Kumar (84kg), Anil Kumar (96kg), Dharmender Dalal (120kg)
Women`s team: Nirmala Devi (48kg), Geeta (55kg), Suman Kundu (63kg), Gursharan Preet Kaur (72kg)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray