Six Indian pugilists enter last four in Cuba meet
New Delhi: As many as six Indian boxers entered the semi-finals of the 41st Giraldo C’rdova Cardin Memorial Boxing Tournament in Havana, Cuba.
The ones who made it to the last four stage are Thokchom Nanao Singh (49kg), Suranjoy Singh, Santosh Harijan (both in52kg category), Kuldeep Singh (75kg), Manpreet Singh and Paramjeet Samota (both in 91kg category).
Nanao who is coming back after injury was into his first international assignment. The 20-year-old ousted Elsi of Peru 32-9 in a completely one-sided light flyweight encounter.
Nanao will now meet Muzaparov of Kazakhstan in the semi-finals.
Commonwealth Games gold medalllist Suranjoy better known as `Chota Tyson` thrashed his Venezuelan opponent Jesus 27-9 to set up semis date with J Neto of Brazil.
In the same weight class, Santosh continued his winning streak against Artur Cremildo of Mozambique beating him 32-8. He will lock horns with Cuba Main team boxer Ramirez.
There were couple of disappointing results in the form of defeats for Amandeep Singh (49kg) and Shiva Thapa (56kg).
Amandeep lost to Veitia Yoswany of Cuba 12-22 while Robenilson beat Shiva Thapa 17-7.
CWG gold medallist Samota will lock horns with compatriot Manpreet while Kuldeep will take Dominican Castillo Junior in his semi-final bout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog