Six outstation teams for Guru Tegh Bahadur Hockey
Mumbai: Eight teams including six from outside Mumbai will be participating in the 10th Guru Tegh Bahadur Gold Cup Hockey Tournament, to be held at the MHA Mahindra Stadium here from May 12-18.
The tournament, revived after 2010 when Air India won it, is to be played in a round robin phase initially with four teams in each group followed by the cross-cross semi finals, Mumbai Hockey Association secretary Ram Singh Rathor said at a media conference today.
The teams that are taking part in the Rs 2.25-lakh prize money tournament are Air India, Army XI, Tamil Nadu XI, Western Railway (all in Group A), Indian Oil, CAG, South Central Railway and Indian Navy (Group B).
Rathor said while the Netherlands-bound Indian World Cup squad members would not be seen in action, but a number of other top players would take part.
"A lot of other top players would take part. The winners would be richer by Rs 1.25 lakh while the runners up would get Rs 75,000. In addition, we will give Rs 10,000 to the player of the tournament besides Rs 5,000 each to the best goalkeeper, defender and forward," he said.
The semifinals are scheduled for May 17 followed by the final the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Tanmay Bhat jokes about Priyanka Chopra’s accent – Here’s her response and it’s cool!
- Kylie Jenner is broke?
- IndiGo flight hits turbulence due to slogans hailing ISIS – Find shocking details here
- Facebook video row: 'Made no mistake,' says Bhagwant Mann in 5-page letter to parliamentary panel
- 'Lights Out' sequel in works