Six outstation teams for Guru Tegh Bahadur Hockey
Mumbai: Eight teams including six from outside Mumbai will be participating in the 10th Guru Tegh Bahadur Gold Cup Hockey Tournament, to be held at the MHA Mahindra Stadium here from May 12-18.
The tournament, revived after 2010 when Air India won it, is to be played in a round robin phase initially with four teams in each group followed by the cross-cross semi finals, Mumbai Hockey Association secretary Ram Singh Rathor said at a media conference today.
The teams that are taking part in the Rs 2.25-lakh prize money tournament are Air India, Army XI, Tamil Nadu XI, Western Railway (all in Group A), Indian Oil, CAG, South Central Railway and Indian Navy (Group B).
Rathor said while the Netherlands-bound Indian World Cup squad members would not be seen in action, but a number of other top players would take part.
"A lot of other top players would take part. The winners would be richer by Rs 1.25 lakh while the runners up would get Rs 75,000. In addition, we will give Rs 10,000 to the player of the tournament besides Rs 5,000 each to the best goalkeeper, defender and forward," he said.
The semifinals are scheduled for May 17 followed by the final the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best