Skydiver Baumgartner nominated for Laureus Sports Award
Rio De Janeiro: Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner, who became the first human to go through the sound barrier when he made the highest ever freefall from 39km (24 miles) over New Mexico in October, has been nominated for the 2013 Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year award, following a vote by the world`s media.
Baumgartner is one of six action stars who have been shortlisted for this prestigious award. The others are British BMX rider Jamie Bestwick, French Olympic mountain biker Julie Bresset, Australian surfers Stephanie Gilmore and Joel Parkinson and German windsurfer Philip Koster.
The winner will be announced at the Laureus World Sports Awards here March 11.
Also nominated in other categories are many of the great stars from the London Olympic Games, including Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis, Missy Franklin, Andy Murray, Michael Phelps, Ye Shiwen, Bradley Wiggins and Serena Williams.
Charismatic footballer Lionel Messi and Sebastian Vettel, winner of a third straight Formula One World Championship have also been selected. Messi has been nominated for the fourth straight time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?