Skydiver Baumgartner nominated for Laureus Sports Award
Rio De Janeiro: Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner, who became the first human to go through the sound barrier when he made the highest ever freefall from 39km (24 miles) over New Mexico in October, has been nominated for the 2013 Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year award, following a vote by the world`s media.
Baumgartner is one of six action stars who have been shortlisted for this prestigious award. The others are British BMX rider Jamie Bestwick, French Olympic mountain biker Julie Bresset, Australian surfers Stephanie Gilmore and Joel Parkinson and German windsurfer Philip Koster.
The winner will be announced at the Laureus World Sports Awards here March 11.
Also nominated in other categories are many of the great stars from the London Olympic Games, including Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis, Missy Franklin, Andy Murray, Michael Phelps, Ye Shiwen, Bradley Wiggins and Serena Williams.
Charismatic footballer Lionel Messi and Sebastian Vettel, winner of a third straight Formula One World Championship have also been selected. Messi has been nominated for the fourth straight time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family