Slovakia win inaugural Int River Rafting C`ship in JK
Bhaderwah: Slovakia won the inaugural International River Rafting Championship in Doda district here on Thursday, while a team from Indian Army bagged the runners-up title.
The five-day long event, which was held on river Chenab at Thathri area of Doda district, witnessed participation from countries like Australia, Czech Republic and Nepal besides Slovakoa and two teams from India.
The Slovak team, comprising of Viladmir, Knitko Peter, Karol Marton, Tomas Skepka, Michal Rechtorocia and Michal Stole won three out of the four events to lift the coveted trophy.
The team won head-to-head, slalom and downriver events to stamp their authority.
However, it was a team from Indian Army which piped the Slovaks in the sprint segment to fetch the second position.
The event was judged by IRF (International Rafting Fedration) members Jeo Wills and Natalia.
"It was a sort of dream when our department proposed to organise this international event on river Chenab in Doda district, which is famous for its rich culture, unique topography besides rarest of flora and fauna. We are hopeful that by organising this event, a message will go to the outside world regarding the potential of adventure tourism activities in the state of Jammu and Kashmir," Assistant Director of Tourism, Tariq Naik said.
He also praised the judges for making the event, which has brought the otherwise neglected district on international tourism and sports map, a huge success.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt