Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs
Brussels (Belgium): Sprint icon Usain Bolt and fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake scored contrasting victories to headline the season-ending Memorial Van Damme Diamond League meeting here.
While Bolt coasted to a 9.86 seconds win in the 100 metres, Blake stormed to a 19.54 victory in the 200 metres, reports CMC.
Bolt, however, looked sluggish and had to come from behind to win the contest.
Running out of lane five, the two-time Olympic champion was away slowly as compatriot Nesta Carter grabbed the early lead. However, Bolt powered through in the last 40 metres to clinch victory.
"I was just happy to be done. I went out there just for the fans," Bolt told reporters afterward.
"From yesterday I told my coach (Glen Mills) that I felt slow and lazy. I felt drained. He told me `make sure you go out there and execute right and it should be ok` and that`s what I did."
Carter finished second in 9.96 seconds with another Jamaican Kemar Bailey Cole placing third in a personal best 9.97 seconds.
Veteran St Kitts and Nevis sprinter Kim Collins was fourth in 10.03 seconds, with Nickel Ashmeade fifth in the same time.
Blake, meanwhile, looked sharp as he impressively dominated his field in the half-lap.
The 22-year-old, who has not lost a race since taking silver in both sprints at the London Olympics last month, jetted through the curve to enter the stretch in front.
He was chased down by fellow Jamaican Jason Young but was hardly challenged in the final 75 metres as he crossed the line well ahead of the field.
Young took second in 19.92 seconds while Christophe Lemaitre clocked 20.17 seconds to be third.
"I feel like I`m just starting," Blake boasted. "I feel I could go through until next year. I could do anything. Next year it will be even better."
Olympic bronze medallist Warren Weir was fourth in 20.22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand