Social media surge for squash 2020
New Delhi: With less than a week to go until the International Olympic Committee (IOC) votes to decide if squash will join the 2020 Olympic Games, the bid campaign has received a worldwide surging social media support.
As the campaign looks to build further momentum in the lead up to the IOC presentation on September 8, the squash 2020 facebook page has now registered over 1,24,000 likes (a 21 per cent increase over the last seven days) with the `Back the Bid` film on YouTube receiving almost 1,53,000 views and @Vote4Squash Twitter account fast approaching 10,000 followers.
As the only new sport to be shortlisted for inclusion at the 2020 Olympic Games, squash has received social media support from across the globe, including Brazil, Egypt, Columbia, Spain, South Africa, Japan, Switzerland, India, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine and Malaysia - once again highlighting squash`s global appeal and its popularity across all ages and languages.
Commenting on squash`s online support, World Squash Federation President N Ramachandran, said, "Digital and social media is a great platform to engage and bring people together and it is fantastic to see the growing number of people from around the world supporting squash 2020 online.
"Once again, this highlights squash`s commitment to innovation and the sport`s growing appeal to young people as a fast, exciting and dynamic sport.
"Squash can genuinely offer something exciting and fresh to the Olympic experience and as we look to build further momentum in the lead up to the 125th IOC Session, I hope that more and more people will support our bid and help persuade the IOC to vote for squash on September 8."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof