Sohail Abbas keen to produce good results
Karachi: Pakistan`s penalty corner specialist, Sohail Abbas is keen to live up to the faith imposed on him by the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), which has appointed him the captain of the national team for the Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia and a tour to Europe.
"I am delighted to get the honour of leading Pakistan. Obviously, my aim is to get good results in the upcoming events so that I can continue (as the captain) for the Olympics as well," said Abbas.
The PHF and national selectors chose to ignore the rebel senior players, who had gone to India for the World Series Hockey (WSH), while announcing a new look squad for the two tournaments.
"Those players would be considered only for national selection once the disciplinary committee considers their cases and clears them," a PHF official said.
Seniors like Rehan Butt, Shakeel Abbasi, Waseem Ahmed and Imran Wasti, who can be considered for selection for the Olympics, had gone to play in the WSH, which is not recognised by the PHF or the FIH.
After returning home, the rebel players had appeared before the PHF disciplinary committee but the question still remains whether the the Federation would allow them to play for Pakistan again.
"Basically the PHF and its selectors will see how the results go in Malaysia and in Europe and then take a decision on whether these seniors are required for the Olympics," a former Olympian said.
The national team was selected after the trials in Islamabad and chief selector Hanif Khan said some players have also been included after their impressive performances in the Junior Asia Cup.
Abbas, who began his career in 1998, will be leading the national team for the first time in Azlan Shah Cup, to be held in Ipoh from May 24 to June 3.
Great Britain, New Zealand, Argentina, India, Malaysia, and Korea will also be participating in the seven-nation tournament.
Pakistan`s European tour will begin on June 8 during which they will be playing against teams like Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.
The training camp for the Olympics will start on June 24 in Lahore.
Goalkeepers: Imran Butt and Imran Shah.
Defenders: Mohammad Irfan, Kashif Shah, Khalid Bhatti.
Midfielders: Sohail Abbas (captain), Fareed Ahmed, Rashid Mehmood, Mohammad Tauseeq, Mohammad Rizwan Junior.
Forwards: Waqas Sharif (vice-captain), Shafqat Rasool, Abdul Haseem Khan, Rizwan Senior, Mohammad Zubair, Umer Bhutta, Shabbir Ahmed, Ali Shaan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door