Soniya bags bronze in Asian Weightlifting
New Delhi: N Soniya Chanu bagged a bronze in women`s 48kg category to open India`s medal account on the opening day of Senior Asian Weightlifting Championships at Pyeongtaek, South Korea on Tuesday.
Soniya, who won a silver in the Delhi Commonwealth Games, finished third in snatch with an effort of 75kg in the first competition of the championship, which is a London Olympic Qualification event.
She was fifth in clean and jerk with an effort of 100kg and finished fifth overall with a total lift of 175kg.
Three medals are awarded in each of the snatch, clean and jerk and total lift in each weight category.
Another Indian in the fray in 48kg category, K Sanjita Chanu finished 10th in snatch (71kg), 11th in clean and jerk (91kg) and 11th in total lift (162kg).
India are being represented by 15 weightlifters, including seven women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...