Soumyajit to lead Indian TT Contingent for Lusofonia Games
New Delhi: Reigning national champion Soumyajit Ghosh will lead a five-strong Indian men`s table tennis team in the Lusofonia Games to be held in Goa from January 18 to 29. Ghosh is the youngest Indian national champion, having won the title by beating Sharath Kamal.
He was also the youngest Indian to qualify for the London Olympics.
The others in the Indian men`s team are Anthony Amalraj (Tamil Nadu), Harmeet Desai (Gujarat), Adarsh P (Goa) and Diljeet Vilingkar (Goa).
Completing the Indian contingent is the women`s team comprising of K. Shamini (Tamil Nadu), Madhurika Patkar (Mumbai), Ankita Das (West Bengal), Tanisi Kirtani (Goa) and Divya D`Mello (Goa).
The Lusofonia Games will see participation from over 1500 athletes and officials from 12 nations. Participating countries are founding members Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea- Bissau, Goa (India), Macau (China), Mozambique, Portugal, Sao Tome and Principe and Sri Lanka.
Athletes from 12 nations will compete in nine different sporting disciplines ? Athletics, Basketball, Beach Volleyball, Football, Judo, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Volleyball and Wushu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security