South Africa`s Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup
Dubai: South Africa`s Chad le Clos became the star of the FINA/Arena Swimming World Cup by bagging six gold medals.
Le Clos, 19, raced in six events in the two-day competition, winning three golds in 400m individual medley, 200m butterfly, 100m individual medley Friday and adding another three in 100m butterfly, 200m individual medley and 200m backstroke Saturday.
In his first event of the Saturday finals, Le Clos got the top spot in 50.66 seconds, ahead of Russia`s world-record holder Evgeny Korotyshkin (51.14) and Kenya`s Jason Dunford (51.70).
After lagging behind a bit at the start, the South African gave one glance to his left on the final lap to come up with one last surge.
"I didn`t expect to win six golds," he said. "There were some tough competitors such as Jason Dunford and Evgeny... Thankfully I stayed with the guys and I am really proud of that."
Le Clos will next take part in the Stockholm leg of the World Cup October 15-16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert