South Africa`s Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup
Dubai: South Africa`s Chad le Clos became the star of the FINA/Arena Swimming World Cup by bagging six gold medals.
Le Clos, 19, raced in six events in the two-day competition, winning three golds in 400m individual medley, 200m butterfly, 100m individual medley Friday and adding another three in 100m butterfly, 200m individual medley and 200m backstroke Saturday.
In his first event of the Saturday finals, Le Clos got the top spot in 50.66 seconds, ahead of Russia`s world-record holder Evgeny Korotyshkin (51.14) and Kenya`s Jason Dunford (51.70).
After lagging behind a bit at the start, the South African gave one glance to his left on the final lap to come up with one last surge.
"I didn`t expect to win six golds," he said. "There were some tough competitors such as Jason Dunford and Evgeny... Thankfully I stayed with the guys and I am really proud of that."
Le Clos will next take part in the Stockholm leg of the World Cup October 15-16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon