South African coach for Ranchi Rhinos in HIL
New Delhi: Ranchi Rhinos, one of the franchises in the upcoming Hockey India League, has roped in South Africa`s Gregg Clark as its head coach along with two-time Olympian Baljit Singh Saini.
Baljit is an Arjuna awardee and is also the head coach of India`s junior men`s team. Under his guidance, the Indian team recently won a silver medal at the Sultan of Johor Cup in Malaysia.
Clark, who is currently the head coach of South Africa men team, has been coaching the national side from the past seven years.
During this period his team has participated in Olympic Games 2008 and 2012, World Cup 2010 and Commonwealth Games 2010.
As a player, Clark competed in more than 250 internationals for South Africa.
"I am looking forward to working with Ranchi Rhinos as a coach and I am hungry to win this inaugural tournament. India has the best hockey talent available in the world which we will utilise to build a strong team in the inaugural season of HIL," said Clark.
David Staniforth, who is currently the goalkeeping coach of South African national side, has also joined the team as a goalkeeping coach and video analyst.
Mr Suresh Chauhan, co-owners of Ranchi franchisee, said the team would be a tough one.
"Ranchi is rich in hockey talent and this is the reason behind our decision to buy Ranchi team. We will look forward to promote hockey at grass root level not only in Ranchi but also in entire Jharkhand," he said.
"We would like to thank FIH and Hockey India for taking the initiative of starting Hockey India League and giving us an opportunity to serve and save our national game that has been neglected so far," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit