South India powerlifting tourney in Kozhikode from Nov 7
Kozhikode: Around 300 sportspersons will be seen in action when the South India Powerlifting Championship for senior men and women begins here on November 7.
Speaking to reporters, Venu G Nair, secretary, Kerala State Powerlifting Association, said teams from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and hosts
Kerala will participate in the three-day championship.
Andhra Pradesh are the defending champions while Kerala were the runners-up, he said.
Events in the 53kg, 59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg and plus 120kg will be conducted in the men`s section while in the women`s section competition will be in the 43kg, 47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg and plus 84kg.
The first South India Powerlifting Championship was held at Kozhikode in 1983.
Kozhikode had produced international powerlifters including E Krishnakumar, C
Premachandran, Ashith Rasili, Bachu M R, Prabhakaran and Aswin Mohan.
The championship in the sub-junior and junior sections will also be held during the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY