South India powerlifting tourney in Kozhikode from Nov 7
Kozhikode: Around 300 sportspersons will be seen in action when the South India Powerlifting Championship for senior men and women begins here on November 7.
Speaking to reporters, Venu G Nair, secretary, Kerala State Powerlifting Association, said teams from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and hosts
Kerala will participate in the three-day championship.
Andhra Pradesh are the defending champions while Kerala were the runners-up, he said.
Events in the 53kg, 59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg and plus 120kg will be conducted in the men`s section while in the women`s section competition will be in the 43kg, 47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg and plus 84kg.
The first South India Powerlifting Championship was held at Kozhikode in 1983.
Kozhikode had produced international powerlifters including E Krishnakumar, C
Premachandran, Ashith Rasili, Bachu M R, Prabhakaran and Aswin Mohan.
The championship in the sub-junior and junior sections will also be held during the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath