South India powerlifting tourney in Kozhikode from Nov 7
Kozhikode: Around 300 sportspersons will be seen in action when the South India Powerlifting Championship for senior men and women begins here on November 7.
Speaking to reporters, Venu G Nair, secretary, Kerala State Powerlifting Association, said teams from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and hosts
Kerala will participate in the three-day championship.
Andhra Pradesh are the defending champions while Kerala were the runners-up, he said.
Events in the 53kg, 59kg, 66kg, 74kg, 83kg, 93kg, 105kg, 120kg and plus 120kg will be conducted in the men`s section while in the women`s section competition will be in the 43kg, 47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg and plus 84kg.
The first South India Powerlifting Championship was held at Kozhikode in 1983.
Kozhikode had produced international powerlifters including E Krishnakumar, C
Premachandran, Ashith Rasili, Bachu M R, Prabhakaran and Aswin Mohan.
The championship in the sub-junior and junior sections will also be held during the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation