Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy dies at 88
Washington: Eunice Kennedy Shriver, a younger sister of late US President John F. Kennedy and known for her work on behalf of people with mental disabilities, died Tuesday morning, media reports said citing the Kennedy family. She was 88.
The reports said Shriver died around 2 a.m. in hospital in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, where she had been in intensive care for the past week.
Founder of the Special Olympics to allow people with mental disabilities to compete in sports - her work was in part inspired by the struggles of her mentally disabled sister, Rosemary - Eunice Shriver was from one of America’s most prominent political families.
She was the fifth of nine children of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. and Rose Kennedy, with her siblings including the late president Kennedy and late senator Robert Kennedy - both were assassinated in the 1960s - as well as current Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy.
She was also the mother-in-law of current California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Eunice Shriver is survived by her husband R. Sargent Shriver and their five children. A statement by the Special Olympics said that her husband, five children and their spouses, as well as her 19 grandchildren were with her when she died.
“We are tremendously grateful for the extreme outpouring of support and prayer from the public as we honour our beloved founder,” Special Olympics President and Chief Operation Officer Brady Lum said Tuesday in a statement.
“Today we celebrate the life of a woman who had the vision to create our movement. It is an enormous loss, but I know we can rest assured that her legacy will live on through her family, friends, and the millions of people around the world who she touched and transformed,” he added.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe