Sporting history replete with doping scandals much before Lance Armstrong’s ‘disgrace’
Washington: U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) may consider Lance Armstrong’s doping scandal as more extensive than any previously revealed in professional sports history, but a new editorial in The FASEB Journal by US Anti-Doping Agency’s (USADA) Larry D. Bowers shows that it is clearly not the first.
From early athletes who used rat poison and heroin to fight fatigue, to modern Olympians who perform under the ever-present shadow of high tech hormones, stimulants and steroids, the editorial lays out both the history and the science behind athletic "doping" scandals.
Bowers traces modern anti-doping regulation to tragic accidents such as the death of British cyclist Tommy Simpson in the 1967 Tour de France, a race then notorious as a pharmaceutical free-for-all.
“With a steady stream of new therapeutic agents—from stimulants to steroids to protein hormones—with potential for abuse in sport entering the marketplace, antidoping scientists and collaborators are continually developing new approaches for detection of prohibited substances and methods,” wrote Bowers in the editorial.
“The challenge of developing and validating methods for the long list of prohibited substances and methods is daunting, requiring analytical skills, a thorough understanding of drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, and an appreciation of human physiology and endocrinology,” he added.
In the editorial, Bowers describes how doping athletes have progressively employed more sophisticated techniques and tools to avoid detection by increasingly comprehensive tests.
"We often think of medical breakthroughs as bringing cures to those who are sick, but for some who are in peak physical condition, these breakthroughs offer a way to extend the human body beyond its limits,” said Gerald Weissmann, MD, editor-in-chief of The FASEB Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers