Sports minister happy with IOA`s constitution amendment
New Delhi: Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Monday expressed satisfaction over IOA` decision to bar charge-framed individuals from contesting its elections by bringing in a constitutional amendment.
Facing de-recognition from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the IOA amended its constitution at its Special General Body meeting here on Sunday.
A press release by the ministry stated that, Jitendra Singh had led a government delegation to the IOC headquarters in Lausanne earlier this year to ensure that conditions are created for ending the suspension of IOA at the earliest.
"The issue of debarring charge framed officials from contesting elections or continuing in office was first raised then and the IOC was apprised of the support of the Government of India for such a measure," the release said.
The government has supported the demand of the IOC that charge-framed persons be kept out of IOA.
"Shri Jitendra Singh expressed happiness that all these efforts have culminated in decision of IOA to bar charge-framed persons and hold fresh elections of IOA in February next year," the released stated further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM