Sports Ministry approves foreign training for nine athletes
New Delhi: The likes of Vikas Gowda, Krishna Poonia along with seven others who have either qualified for the London Olympics or are likely to qualify and their respective coaches will be given foreign training, the Steering Committee on Athletics for the 2012 Games announced.
The committee, which was constituted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports under the Chairmanship of Secretary (Sports), has also approved the Calendar for Training & Competitions (CTC) submitted by Athletic Federation of India for the period from January, 2012 to June, 2012 and a CTC for Domestic Coaching Camps and Competitions.
It has also decided that from now on and up until London Olympics, foreign exposure to athletes would be restricted only to those who have either qualified or are extremely likely to do so.
Under this National Sports Development Fund Scheme, Gowda (discus thrower), Poonia (women`s discus thrower), Om Prakash (shot putter) and Mayookha Johny (long jumper), all of whom have qualified for the London Games, would be sponsored.
While Gowda and Poonia have been training in the USA, Om Prakash is in Hungary.
Mayookha Johny has been sent to Berlin for specialised training to help her prepare for the triple jump and also to enable her qualify for the Olympics in the long jump.
Some of the athletes who are likely to qualify, including Preeja Sreedharan, Kavita Raut, Sudha Singh and OP Jaisha, have also been sent to Kenya for high altitude training. While Harvant Kaur and coach Pramveer Singh have been sent to South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral