Sports Ministry asks IOA to take up wrestling`s cause
New Delhi: The sports ministry Wednesday urged the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to take up with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) the issue of dropping wrestling from the 2020 Olympic Games.
In a letter to IOA secretary general Randhir Singh, sports ministry secretary Pradeep Kumar Deb has said that the government believes that the decision to exclude the sport of wrestling from the 25 core sports of the Olympics needs to be reconsidered.
The Indian Olympic Association, headed by acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra, is the apex sports body recognised by the International Olympic Committee. Randhir Singh, who is IOA secretary general, is also a member of the IOC.
Deb in the letter reminded the IOA that India has won four medals from wrestling, which has been in the Olympics since the 1896 modern Games in Athens.
"It was also a part of the ancient Olympics in Greece. This ancient sport has helped Indian grapplers make a mark and bring India on the global sporting map. India has won four medals at the Olympic Games in wrestling. Wrestling is a popular sport not only in India but also in many other countries such as United States, Russia, Iran, Uzbekistan, Mangolia, Japan, China, etc," Deb said in the letter.
The letter said that the exclusion of wrestling from the Olympics is against tradition, which is so much a part of Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read