Sports Ministry asks IOA to take up wrestling`s cause
New Delhi: The sports ministry Wednesday urged the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to take up with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) the issue of dropping wrestling from the 2020 Olympic Games.
In a letter to IOA secretary general Randhir Singh, sports ministry secretary Pradeep Kumar Deb has said that the government believes that the decision to exclude the sport of wrestling from the 25 core sports of the Olympics needs to be reconsidered.
The Indian Olympic Association, headed by acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra, is the apex sports body recognised by the International Olympic Committee. Randhir Singh, who is IOA secretary general, is also a member of the IOC.
Deb in the letter reminded the IOA that India has won four medals from wrestling, which has been in the Olympics since the 1896 modern Games in Athens.
"It was also a part of the ancient Olympics in Greece. This ancient sport has helped Indian grapplers make a mark and bring India on the global sporting map. India has won four medals at the Olympic Games in wrestling. Wrestling is a popular sport not only in India but also in many other countries such as United States, Russia, Iran, Uzbekistan, Mangolia, Japan, China, etc," Deb said in the letter.
The letter said that the exclusion of wrestling from the Olympics is against tradition, which is so much a part of Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?