Sports ministry assures unified front before IOC
New Delhi: Sports Minister Jitendra Singh said the country will put up a unified front at the meeting with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) May 7 in a bid to lift the suspension slapped on India.
Jitendra Singh met IOC member Randhir Singh here on Wednesday and discussed a large number of issues, and said that a common consensus will be arrived at with the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and the National Sports Federations (NSFs) before the next month`s meeting.
On Wednesday, Jitendra Singh will again meet Indian Olympic Association (IOA) acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra and Randhir, who will be attending the meeting as IOA secretary general.
Randhir Singh told IANS that the sports minister has assured them that the government won`t interfere in the affairs of the IOA.
"The government has assured the IOC that India will put up an unified front during May 7 meeting. Tomorrow I will meet him again in my capacity as an IOA office bearer along with Mr. Malhotra. We have to be on the same page before meeting IOC," said Randhir Singh.
The IOC has invited the sports ministry and the IOA May 7 at its headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, to discuss a road map to lift the suspension of India.
The much awaited meeting has been put off twice. The IOC suspended the IOA in December last year over its election process.
The IOC wants to discuss a roadmap for the IOA to host fresh elections so that suspension can be lifted.
The IOC only recognises the IOA, which is headed by Malhotra and secretary-general Randhir Singh. Malhotra lost the last elections to Abhay Singh Chautala in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog