Sports Ministry likely to stick to original list
New Delhi: Suspense remained over discus thrower Krishna Poonia`s plea for considering her name for the prestigious Khel Ratna award even as the Sports Ministry on Tuesday indicated that there may not be any change in the original list of awardees.
After the chorus for considering Poonia`s name for the Khel Ratna grew, Jitendra Singh on Monday had one round of meeting with his secretary P K Deb. Since the meeting remained inconclusive, they met again on Tuesday for a final decision.
Though Jitendra is yet to give his final approval on the decision to stick to the original list that was issued last week, a top official in the Sports Ministry revealed that there was likely to be no change in either the name recommended for the Khel Ratna award or the initial 15 names of sportspersons nominated for the Arjuna awards.
"There is no change in the initial list of athletes recommended for either Khel Ratna or Arjuna awards. Everything remains the same," the official said.
The recommendation of Double trap shooter Ronjan Sodhi for the Khel Ratna award had sparked off a controversy with some members of the panel questioning the process of his selection.
It was learnt that Sodhi`s name was not there when the majority of members decided to vote for the Khel Ratna awardee.
A selection panel member had said that Poonia and London Paralympics silver medallist H N Girisha were shortlisted for voting by 11 out of 12 selection panel members and Sodhi`s name was not considered initially.
The scenario, however, changed after one member, a former shooter, came in late for the meeting and Girisha`s name was removed and there was voting between Sodhi and Poonia.
Poonia was initially tipped for the recommendation as she had more support among the members till Sodhi`s name was brought back.
After chorus for considering Poonia`s name for the Khel Ratna grew, the Jitendra Singh yesterday had one round of meeting with his secretary P K Deb. Since the meeting remained inconclusive, they decided to meet again on Tuesday for a final decision.
The Minister was also supposed to take a call regarding the case of national volleyball player Tom Joseph as well as Girisha.
Joseph`s name was also reportedly approved initially by the selection panel for Arjuna Award but it was dropped later in the absence of Sports Authority of India (SAI) officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day