Sports ministry prefers Dhyan Chand over Tendulkar for Bharat Ratna
New Delhi: The sports ministry Friday said recommending hockey legend late Dhyan Chand over cricket maestro Sachin Tendulkar for the Bharat Ratna was a logical choice.
The ministry had to name only one sportsperson for the Bharat Ratna to the Prime Minister`s Office for the highest civilian award and for them three-time Olympic gold medallist Dhyan Chand, who passed away in 1979, was the right choice.
"We had to name just one sportsperson for the Bharat Ratna and it was Dhyan Chand. With all due respect to Tendulkar, Dhyan Chand is a legend in Indian sports. And it was logical to recommend Dhyan Chand for the Bharat Ratna since we have named every other trophy after him," Pradip Deb, secretary sports.
Hockey India (HI), which had recommended Dhyan Chand`s name earlier this year, was also elated.
"It is a proud moment for Indian hockey. We sincerely hope that he is given the award," Narinder Batra, secretary general of Hockey India (HI).
Dhyan Chand, who won three gold medals at the Olympics - in 1928, 1932 and 1936, is widely considered as the greatest hockey player the world has ever seen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city