Sports Ministry sanctions funds to Assam
New Delhi: The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has sanctioned the remaining amount of Rs 96 lakh from a total of Rs 4.81 crore to Assam for the development and maintenance of playfields in 333 Village Panchayats and 22 Block Panchayats under Panchayat Yuva Krida Abhiyan (PYKKA).
In September 2009, the MYAS had sanctioned an amount of Rs. 4.81 crore and out of this, Rs 3.85 crore was released earlier as first instalment.
"The balance amount has been sanctioned for release now after obtaining the confirmation of utilisation of said amount," the Ministry said in a statement.
Under the PYKKA, which was introduced in 2008-09, playfields are developed and maintained in villages and block panchayats across the country in a phased manner and competitions are conducted annually at block, district, state and national level.
The scheme aims at creation of basic sports infrastructure in 2.50 lakh village panchayats and 6400 block panchayats in a phased manner over a period of 10 years.
The scheme also provides for 100 per cent central assistance for holding annual rural sports competitions as block, district, state and national levels as also financial support for conducting National Women Championships and North East Games.
51,759 village panchayats and 1,538 block panchayats have been covered under the PYKKA Scheme, during the last four years (2008-09 to 2011-12) for development and maintenance of playfields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16