Sports Ministry sanctions Rs 7.95 crore for Oly preparation
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has sanctioned financial assistance of Rs 7.95 crore from National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) for imparting customised training to elite athletes, who are medal prospects in the London Olympics and other major international sports events.
The financial assistance that will also include air fare has been granted to 45 sportspersons and 12 coaches and support staffs under Operation London Excellence 2012.
Out of this, a sum of Rs 4.21 crore has already been released to the sportspersons. The aid sanctioned is towards extensive training abroad, engagement of personal coaches both foreign and Indian, competitions exposures abroad, scientific back-up in terms of sports psychologists, physiotherapists, masseurs etc.
So far, 18 sportspersons have been given financial assistance from NSDF under OPEX 2012 that include four shooters, eight athletes and six tennis players for training abroad.
In addition, two teams of four male and five female gymnasts were sponsored by NSDF for training while the participation of Indian boxing team in three competitions was also financed from NSDF.
The NSDF assistance in all these cases has been processed after the approval of the Steering Committee for OPEX 2012.
Most of these sportspersons are undergoing training and money will be released in installments after getting statements of accounts, mostly on quarterly basis, and periodical performance report from the institutes/coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?