Sports Ministry unveils new-look awards
New Delhi: A new set of lighter and sleeker statuettes will be handed over to the athletes when President Pratibha Patil gives away the national sports awards on Saturday.
The Sports Ministry today unveiled the new-look awards, including the inaugural Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar, crafted by Gajendra Sahu and Mukul Goyal.
"After a long time, the sports awards have been re-designed and we hope both the President and the athletes like it," Sports Secretary Sindhushree Khullar said.
The redesigned statuettes are made of bronze and affixed on ebony base, weighing around 1.5 kg.
Gajendra Sahu, a lecturer at the Government Arts and Crafts College in Bhuvneswar, has designed the statuettes for Arjuna, Dronacharya, Dhyan Chand and Tenzing Norgay awards.
"We were told to alter the form and not the idea. So in case of Arjuna trophy, you have Arjuna aiming at the fish`s eye while looking at the reflection behind. Similarly, I tried to capture the `guru-shishya parampara` (teacher-pupil tradition) in the Dronacharya award," Sahu said.
IIT Kanpur alumni Mukul Goyal has designed the inaugural Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar, which clearly stood out.
"This is the first time that the award would be given to an institution and I decided to focus on growth and spirit of the game. This is why I designed a torch with flames and wove it to give it a tree-like look to signify growth," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown