Sports Ministry unveils new-look awards
New Delhi: A new set of lighter and sleeker statuettes will be handed over to the athletes when President Pratibha Patil gives away the national sports awards on Saturday.
The Sports Ministry today unveiled the new-look awards, including the inaugural Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar, crafted by Gajendra Sahu and Mukul Goyal.
"After a long time, the sports awards have been re-designed and we hope both the President and the athletes like it," Sports Secretary Sindhushree Khullar said.
The redesigned statuettes are made of bronze and affixed on ebony base, weighing around 1.5 kg.
Gajendra Sahu, a lecturer at the Government Arts and Crafts College in Bhuvneswar, has designed the statuettes for Arjuna, Dronacharya, Dhyan Chand and Tenzing Norgay awards.
"We were told to alter the form and not the idea. So in case of Arjuna trophy, you have Arjuna aiming at the fish`s eye while looking at the reflection behind. Similarly, I tried to capture the `guru-shishya parampara` (teacher-pupil tradition) in the Dronacharya award," Sahu said.
IIT Kanpur alumni Mukul Goyal has designed the inaugural Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar, which clearly stood out.
"This is the first time that the award would be given to an institution and I decided to focus on growth and spirit of the game. This is why I designed a torch with flames and wove it to give it a tree-like look to signify growth," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India