Sports Ministry welcomes wrestling`s re-inclusion in Olympics
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Sunday expressed happiness as wrestling won back its place in the Olympic Games through voting at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Buenos Aires.
The ministry said it made efforts for wrestling`s re-inclusion as it wrote to IOC and also to the countries where wrestling was popular to ensure that the sport is retained in the Olympic Games.
"Shri Jitendra Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs & Sports has expressed happiness on the decision of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to include wrestling in the 2020 Olympics," the ministry said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda also hailed the IOC decision.
"The decision of the IOC members to retain wrestling in the list of core sports is welcome. The Haryana Government had sent a strong representation against the IOC Executive Board decision last February to drop wrestling from the 2020 Olympics and demanded that the board should rescind its decision," Hooda said in statement issued here on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali