Sports Ministry welcomes wrestling`s re-inclusion in Olympics
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Sunday expressed happiness as wrestling won back its place in the Olympic Games through voting at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Buenos Aires.
The ministry said it made efforts for wrestling`s re-inclusion as it wrote to IOC and also to the countries where wrestling was popular to ensure that the sport is retained in the Olympic Games.
"Shri Jitendra Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs & Sports has expressed happiness on the decision of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to include wrestling in the 2020 Olympics," the ministry said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda also hailed the IOC decision.
"The decision of the IOC members to retain wrestling in the list of core sports is welcome. The Haryana Government had sent a strong representation against the IOC Executive Board decision last February to drop wrestling from the 2020 Olympics and demanded that the board should rescind its decision," Hooda said in statement issued here on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant