Sports tournament in Jorhat brings together players from across the country
Jorhat: Sports can play an important role in bringing people together and fostering better understanding. Young sports enthusiasts from across the country recently came together in Assam`s Jorhat district for the 15th All India Agriculture University Games and Sports Tournament.
The mega sports event, held at the Assam Agricultural University (AAU) stadium, is being organized by the AAU with support from ICAR, Delhi. Around 2000 students and staff from 47 agriculture universities from across the country participated in the tournament.
A colorful march past competition was held at the inaugural function. Students from the university presented a number of traditional dances from the Northeast.
The five-day long sports meet has both indoor and outdoor sporting events, including athletics.
"Students, teachers, participants, and officers get to interact with each other from different places at one platform and that is how they learn a lot and develop friendship, brotherhood and all this quality are developed by through organizing such event so I think organizing such event is very good," said Dr Pradip Chandra Borah, Acting VC, AAU, Jorhat
The participants, who had come from different regions, were happy to have got the chance to interact with each other.
"People from different places have come together here, and I am very happy to meet them. Here, the culture is very different, and I got a chance to see their culture at this event, so it`s very good," said Sorum, a participant from Odisha
"I feel very good participating in this event. I have been to other places like Maharashtra and Karnataka but I find this place to be the best. The University is very good, and it`s very good to stay here," added Yadav, a participant from Kanpur.
Besides inculcating a spirit of sportsmanship in the youth, such sporting events also provide a platform to participants from different parts of the country to come together and interact with each other, thereby paving way for unity and better understanding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal