Sprinter Campbell-Brown may get away lightly
London: Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown, who tested positive for a banned substance in May, is unlikely to receive the standard two-year ban.
A report meshes with previous remarks from the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) that Campbell-Brown`s case appears to involve a "lesser" offence to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs.
Campbell-Brown tested positive for a diuretic but the IAAF said that she did not use the substance, reported to be Lasix (furosemide), to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs.
A reduced ban from two years can vary from six months to as little as a public warning.
If Campbell-Brown receives a six-month suspension, it will draw comparisons to a ban given to fellow Jamaican Olympic champion sprinter Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in 2009.
Fraser-Pryce tested positive for Oxycodone, but her ban was reduced to six months after her explanation that she took the banned painkiller for a toothache.
Campbell-Brown, a seven-time Olympic medallist and two-time 200 metres champion, is under a provisional suspension by Jamaica`s Athletics Federation, whose disciplinary panel is handling the case.
While Brown herself has not commented since her positive test was first reported last month, her management company On Track Management (OTM) has quoted her as denying knowingly taking a banned substance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC